Sunday, February 6, 2011

Materialism at its Worst

One of the "excuses" I like to give people when they ask, "when are you having kids[?]" is "I want to be selfish first!"  How true and honest is that?  I went to school all my life, struggled with a poor student budget that went directly to tuition for a number of years, why didn't I deserve some fun with my earned cashflow?  Seriously, a kid is a LIFETIME investment, not like a toy, I think I should be commended for my sense of reality!

In detail, what I really mean is that I want to buy a bunch of materialistic goods to reward myself for all the hard work I do/have done and have something to show for it.  Yes, the stuff I wanted were/are of a frivolous nature, i'm not an ostantatious person, but heck, that's one of the reasons why we work right?  To some, their rewards are large grand scale dinners, cars, for others it's vacations around the world (something I also would love to do, but I always get caught up with "stuff"), and for me it's whatever suits my wants/needs at the time.

I also like to defend my purchases with statements such as,
"my kid will inherit this someday.."
"I only need one of these anyways, not a gazillion cheap different ones, so i'll buy something of quality"
and, "the resale value is high anyways, it's an investment."  LOL!

My list (the ones that have a strike through it, i've already dealt with)
  • Louis Vuitton Purse
  • Louis Vuitton Wallet
  • Chanel Evening Quilted Bag
  • Frye Boots
  • Remodel Master Bathroom
  • King Sized Bed
  • Change apartment floors to laminate
  • Remodel kitchen and kitchen floors
  • A car (this is a big maybe, I can get through my current life without having one)
  • Rolex watch
  • Bose surround sound system
  • Flat screen tv
  • New light fixture in the dining area
  • Paint the apartment
  • Stainless steel kitchen appliances
  • Travel

That's all I can think of.  It's kind of sad nowadays when you have to choose between having a mortgage vs. travelling (unless of course you make a lot of money).  Blast the housing costs in Vancouver!!   There are definitely things that can wait, but there are things that take a few over times here and there to afford. 

I really need to put into perspective that if I do all of those things asap, I might
1) run out of money
2) wait too long that I may not be as fertile per my chronological age
3) husband gets too old
4) just have "stuff" to show for but nothing that will be as rewarding as a child

Slowly yet quickly accepting these ideas!

3 comments:

What is on your mind?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...